Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Jammin' at the Cotton Club.....



These life sized sculptures by Dirk Dahl have to be seen to be believed. He has lovingly captured the feel, the sound, and the spirit of Jazz greats, when Jazz was great. When I was a teen, my cousin, Fred, took me under his wing and brought me to the famous nightclub, Storyville, in Boston in the late.....forget it..... I'm not going to tell you the decade! There, and at the Worcester Auditorium, and at the Newport Jazz Festival we saw Ella Fitzgerald, Woody Herman and his Thundering Herd, Louis Armstrong, and so many more of the top musicians in the new world order called Jazz. Years later my friend Dirk was hearing about these same musicians and their performances at the Cotton Club in Florida. He started on a quest to honor each of his favorites and here are images of a couple more of his truly amazing sculptures. I can hear the music.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lost your link when I changed my blog..my brother is selling and creating his artwork like 'crazy'!

Beverly Kaye said...

Welcome back! I'm so pleased to hear of your brother's success....it's very heartwarming news.