Monday, February 16, 2009

Art equals Jazz equals Art


Do you remember the "Cotton Club" from Miami, Florida? My parents and their friends often spoke of what great jazz could be heard there, and I even got to visit once, when I was a small child. But Dirk Dahl, of California, took it way more seriously. He has collected jazz memorabilia for most of his life and is addicted to the sound of the music from the 30's and 40's. He also is a self-taught sculptor, and has created larger than life and extremely powerful figures of some of the Jazz greats, in his personal tribute to this unique sound. His animated pieces are collected world wide, and the JEPG here is of his wind section. Just how cool is that! Google him and watch these figures actually take shape on his videos......you won't be sorry! Wish he were coming to a venue here soon!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Beverly,
Thanks so much for the great comment you left at my blog. Truely appreciate it. I love the work you have on your blogs. Where can I see Eileen Domain's art? I googled and could not find her. Again thanks! Linda Sheets

Unknown said...

Love this blog and the artwork you share with us. Since I'm new to blogging I wanted to leave this comment here as well as my blog..

'Thanks Beverly, really appreciate your kind words about my scratchboard artwork. Now, how and where can I see Eileen Domain's art?'

headwrapper said...

Linda, click HERE for Eileen Doman

Love those crazy jazz cats.

Linda O'Neill said...

I'm catching up on your blog, Beverly...amazing work! I love the Artists you find...the work of Jocelyn Prosser is really fabulous.

Hope all is well with you!

Unknown said...

Headwrapper,
Thanks for the link. Wow, how cool. Glad I checked her work out.